homemade zucchini lasagna with matt!


I heard about this dish, and wanted to give it a try since i love pasta but wanted something a little lighter for a weeknight meal. 

I took a jar of bolognese sauce that i had frozen, i make it in big batches and save the rest for easy meals. I've been searching for the perfect bolognese recipe for years and i've cooked it a number of different ways, this one was less traditional since it had a fair amount of tomato sauce ("real" bolognese hardly uses any tomato). I will share my bolognese recipe another time. With that i roughly followed these steps:


  1. Slice zucchinis into 1/8" thickness, using a mandolin would be great but i don't have one so i used a cheese slicer.
  2. Salt the zucchini and let them sit for a few minutes, and then pat the resulting moisture away with a paper towel. You want to get as much out as you can so it doesn't release the water into your lasagna.
  3. Use a grill pan (or actual grill) to grill the zucchini slices.
  4. I used a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, and one egg whisked together for the filling. I layered it from bottom to top-- sauce, zucchini, cheese mixture, mozzarella. i repeated two more times and then baked it covered in tinfoil for 45 minutes at 375 degrees, then uncovered for the last 15. It came out awesome, and steffy approved!

Labels: ,